mercredi 18 juin 2014

Interview with Mike Garson (Legendary Pianist / David Bowie)






Mike Garson is a legendary pianist who's mostly known for his work with David Bowie but also Nine Inch Nails, Smashing Pumpkins, he accepted to talk a bit with me about his upcoming plans and his musical background. I don't think such talent needs a bigger introduction, so enjoy!

Louis Hauguel : First, Thank you for accepting this interview, it's a great pleasure. So 2013 is over, how was this year for you, in terms of music and personal achievements ?

Mike Garson : Excellent. Working on 2 new CDs : a solo Piano album of the music of Thelonius Monk plus an album of originals with a large ensemble. Jazz Performances in Budapest. Mentoring some up and coming young students.

2/ What are your upcoming plans for this brand new year ?

I'm just about to complete a SYMPHONIC HEALING SUITE to be premiered March 1 2014 at Segerstrom Hall in Costa Mesa, California. I have composed a 12 movement suite. (45 minutes in length) I worked in conjunction with a brain surgeon and we tested my music on his patients. I will have 42 hand picked classical and jazz musicians on stage plus a 50 piece children's choir. It's a mammoth project I've been working on for 2 years. More info can be found on music-heals.com, I will also broadcast it worldwide on the Internet in real time so for those who can't be at the live show they can still see it.

3/ So 2013 was also a very productive year with the surprising return of David Bowie and his new album " The Next Day ". What are your thoughts on his last effort ? Have you been in touch with him recently for any new projects ?

Great endeavor. Occasional emails.

4/ What is your favourite Bowie track you like to perform and reinterpret ?

Space Oddity



5/ What are your main musical influences and sources of inspiration when it comes to composing ?

Everyone from Bach, Beethoven, Chopin, Mozart, Liszt to Art Tatum, Bill Evans, Bud Powell

6/ Do you have any favourite places where you like to perform ?

Halls that have good sound. Approximately 600 - 2000 capacity.

Do you have in mind a specific country you could remember well, bringing you special feelings ?

Bosnia

7/ You collaborated with David Bowie and bands like N.I.N, Smashing Pumpkins as well as French artist Kuta. How did all those meetings come up ? What's guiding you or not into a certain artistical project ?

It feels like my destiny just unfolds spontaneously and all the above people just appeared effortlessly and I didn't know any of them because I was living in the classical and jazz worlds.



8/ I have a "Desert Island" question for you : Give me one album, one book and one movie you would take with you on a desert island !

I just need a PIANO


  

Thanks!


Louis Hauguel for Fuzzine (2014)


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire