mercredi 18 juin 2014

Interview with Damo Suzuki (CAN, Network)

There is no need to introduce him. I have the great pleasure to offer you this interview with the legendary Damo Suzuki, mostly known as the singer of the german band CAN ( Tago Mago, Future Days, Ege Bamyasi ). He shared with me his views, conceptions of music, life and dreams. It's also about the Network, travelling all around the world, meeting people, meeting musicians. It's about sharing, connecting emotions and feelings. It's the positive energy against the bad things. It's gathering people for the good. No more, no less. I hope you'll enjoy. 


Louis Hauguel: 1/ First, I would like to thank you for accepting this interview. Let's go straight into your world of music and landscapes of sounds : how's the Network was created ?

Damo Suzuki: Network exists since 1997 when I toured in Japan for the first time.

Since 2003, I perform like now, creating time and space of the moment with changing local sound carriers (musicians). Before this, I toured with my friends or musicians I know...

On March 19th 2003, I heard the news of US bombing Iraq, I was angry, confused, sad... because there are millions of people that went in the streets against US bombing for some weeks. As usual US ignored them. Now every healthy people knows that what they did was a wrong mission.

„Violence“ capture this world, I cannot stand this.
„Violence“ is everywhere, not only at battlefield, at home, at work, at school......
I just wanted to make something against „violence“.
Music is one of best weapon against this.
It creates free energy, organic music,......
So, I made up today’s Damo Suzuki’s Network.
I create music on spot with local sound carriers (mainly) I’d never met before.
Music is communication, so it works Step by Step to change this violence orientated world system.




2/ In December, 16th, 2013, a book and a strictly limited LP of Art and Music performance will be released, can you tell us more about it and what's making it special ? How did you meet the people that are performing with you on that record ?

In the year 2010, I travelled through Japan, it was my 60’s birth year, so I presented myself to research my native country for three months. Top North to Bottom South, all 47 prefectures.

In Osaka, at my performance, I met Simon and Bettina from Sweden/Norway. Simon was quite surprised that I spoke with him broken Swedish and he was the first Swedish that knew the tiny village called Gräsmark where I lived for a few months, even during my tour I met many Swedish people. And later they mailed me they would like to make their art project that zoom up Damo in Sweden at the end of the 60’s. Even last year I came back to Gräsmark, a tiny sleeping Swedish village and met some old friends.

This is a book and LP set, limited edition of 500 copies. Audio part is live documentation in Stockholm early this year with Simon, Bettina and other two Swedish sound carriers. Simon and Bettina were curators, so they found sound carriers.

3/ How would you describe your Art and your goals to someone who's discovering the Network, what kind of emotions is it transmitting ?

I would like people to get free from this system.
Freedom is a gift from God. God made us walk on own decision and opinion.
This system ties you and make a slave out of you. Take care, many informations you get in TV, newspapers are manupirated. They make mind control, be awake.
For example, western media inform you about all the bad things about Putin. It’s not true. He might be the only top politician doing something for the folks. I didn’t know about him, I knew him through a blind understanding from western media.

Well, what I wanted to say is everybody have to decide which way you go, not from mainstream media or trend. You have to find how your life's worth.
So, I make instant composing which is just out of this system, we don’t have any control (=we don’t rehearse) before/after the show we don’t talk about music generally. Even I, don’t think I’m making music. Much more creating Energy to Share.

4/ You're performing in many different places, different countries, do you have one in particular where you feel like home, that have that special atmosphere, where you feel safe and free too ?

All Network performance is AT HOME and I thank God for all these opportunities that I have. I feel very comfortable to perform with open-minded sound carriers, and audience support us and share energy.



5/ I read that you mostly like to perform on stage, is there a reason why ? What kind of sensations do you feel there ?

As music is communication, sound carriers on stage, visitors in audience begins from zero. I can feel people breathing, live pure. It’s a meeting place for free energy. It’s Gorgeous, I have such good times, together with these sound carrier, great audience, venues, sound man, local promoters.... All of them are supporting this project. Hope this moment we’re creating is home for everybody involved.

6/ What are your ideals, things, thoughts, causes you like to fight for ?

This world is ruled by a few super rich people who don’t share, who have no interests in other people, even them cannot carry all their materials with themself when they will leave this planet.
As human born naked and leave naked.
Everyday is fighting, within myself and around.


7/ The world is a big scary place sometimes, how do we do to escape from that, do you think your music can help to escape from everyday's life situations/problems ?

Be yourself, find your decision, say no to control, no to gen manipulation, no to nuke plant... No to all things that destroys our nature. This beautiful planet is prepared for us, human being.
Natures’ had been there long time before our arrival.
Yes, positive music (that is not in this system) is a weapon against this completely wrong system.
Instant composing is free from this system, you cannot make that much money but it is worth to work on it.

8/ Do you have some favourite records you like to listen to if you have time ? Are you having some particular influences ?

My favourite music is changing as I’m not friend to eat so much music (information). To live healthy is to eat different things, not always the same. I’m just happy being Damo Suzuki.



9/ What season do you enjoy the most, do you feel concern about climatic change ?

Every season has her own dress.
Climatic change is not coming from global warming, there are many substances, Chemtrail, A-bomb test in atmosphere, etc... if I say here this, many people stamps on me that I’m brain-washed and I’m such a naive person.

People are generally believing in mainstream media. It’s very comfortable to live in the system. There are many questions you can set up. Good thing is that you can research anytime if you’re interested through surfing Internet.

10/ So those lines are yours ... Do you have any last comments, things to suggest, to tell to our readers ?

 Find yourself, be yourself, then share your good vibes to the one next to you.
And most important stay at side of God.

Thanks, Damo !


Louis Hauguel for Fuzzine. (2013)



Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire